Manila, PH -20 Feb. 2009- Staff. A raucous wedding party stretching into the wee morning hours took a tragic turn when four attendees were killed while attempting acrobatic stunts on the dance floor.
Witnesses say that as the party progressed, representatives of the bride and groom’s respective families sqaured off in a series of aggressive, dance based confrontations while a DJ laid down ever faster and more intense beats. Suddenly, at the peak of the competition, two of the musical gladiators bounded on top of tables, lept into midair and collided simultaneously into a pillar. The force of the impact was enough to break the support, and a large section of the roof collapsed.
Maria Calas, 20, Burgus Bahag-hari, 32, Leon Mangubat, 40, and Ligaya Añonuevo, 27, were pronounced dead on the scene when authorities responded to several emergency calls around 4 am local time. First responders were greeted with a grisly tableau of twisted wreckage and mangled bodies. In addition to the four fatalities, scores of others suffered a range of minor and moderate injuries, mainly scrapes and contusions but also some severe fractures.
The clubs owner, Jaime Vargas, could not be reached for comment, but the club is closed pending a full investigation.
New York, NY. -11 Feb. 2009- Staff. NYPD and NYFD finally freed a local man this evening after his foot had become lodged in a public urinal during an altercation.
Authories identified the victim as only by his first name, Ryan, and specified that he was a 25 year old man from Manhattan. Though authorities arrived on the scene relatively quickly, Ryan had already, through repeated attempts to free himself, worked his leg into the urinal almost all the way up to his right knee.
First repsonders were not able to get him out using physcial force, but they were able to free him after several hours using specialized heavy equipment in a delicate operation to cut the urinal out of the wall without causing physcial harm.
Details of the altercation leading up to the rescue are unclear, but witnesses say that after another man refused to share food, Ryan flew into an uncontrollable rage, kicking at random and screaming non-sequiturs. One witness quoted Ryan as yelling “stop hiding your candy” several times.
Soon after the disturbance began, Ryan’s foot somehow became lodged in the urinal. The other man, who remains unidentified, then departed the scene.
Ryan also left the scene quickly after he was cut free just after 10pm Eastern Time, but NYFD spokesperson Clint Bonesteel provided an approximated timeline of the rescue.
- 2:00 pm ET- Ryan is refused candy
- 2:02 pm ET- Ryan’s foot becomes stuck
- 2:30 pm- Ryan is discovered by residents
- 2:45 pm- NYPD arrives on scene
- 3:00 pm- First rescue attempt fails; NYFD is called
- 3:15 pm- NYFD arrives on scene
- 3:45 pm- Specialist consultants contacted after second failed rescue
- 4:30 pm- Third rescue attempt fails
- 5:30 pm- Call for specialized equipment goes out
- 6:00 pm- Specialized equipment is located in Philadelphia
- 8:30 pm- Equipment arrives on scene
- 10:00 pm- Victim is freed
Mr. Bonesteel says this type of incident is rare, but stressed that it is important in emergency situations to respect your immediate environment and stay calm. “You could be in a simple, unfurnished room and still get yourself into trouble,” he added. “The main thing is to relax and not make the situation worse by struggling, crying or calling people who can’t help you. Instead of your mother, call the authorities first and stay calm until they arrive.”
Reno, NV – 3 Feb. 2009- Staff. A Reno man was hospitalized today after consuming nearly 10lbs. of glass beads stored in a bag marked “Delicious Rice.” The man, who refused to be identified, is expected to make a full recovery, though doctors have warned against heavy activity.
Goa – 30 Jan 2009- Staff. Dance clubs in the Indian clubbing district of Goa are reacting to the latest “Grumpy Bumpy” (लिंग योनि विस्फोट) incident which has left three critically injured in the last month alone.
The debate stems from a string of accidents centered around an increasingly popular dance move in which participants make direct pelvic contact and gyrate wildly to bass intensive electronic music. At least three people in Goa have been hospitalized in related incidents.
Gayatri Spivak, owner of Palace Grind in Goa, recalls a particluarly gruesome night when a couple suffered collectively from a dislocated hip, three fractured wrists and multiple facial lacerations. “Awful, just awful. Like two very aroused puppets for whom the strings had been cut,” she said, describing the accident.
Chief District Safety Enforcement Officer (मनुष्य जो एक औरत को नहीं मिल सकता) Sunil Ramachadran highlighted the dangers of the practice and urged caution when out at night: “Bandits or robbers may follow you home, but this danger lurks within you. We must not allow our young people to engage in such dangerous actions.”
Others however, counter that accidents simply happen. “Wherever we go, there are restrictions. You cross the street, and a car hits you. You dance and a woman tears your pants or strains a muscle. It happens,” says Andreas Merkel, a German national vacationing in the area. “If you regulate the crotch, what’s next? Foam padding on the dance floor?” he added.
Miami- 30 Jan. 2008- Staff. Authorities today revealed a shocking twist in the tragic death of Gwen Powers last week at the Scuba Corral School of Undersea Instruction.
While participating in an undersea graduation ceremony at the scuba school Monday Jan. 19, Ms. Powers suddenly convulsed and lay still at the bottom of the ostentatiously bejewled “finishing” tank, according to eye witness reports.
“Right at the sea monkey podium […] Gwen seized up like somebody just grabbed her,” instructor Tom Pike recalls, adding that Gwen was a star pupil. “You just don’t see dive talent like that walking down the street every day. She could’ve been the next Cousteau,” he said.
Details from the newly released police report reveal that Ms. Powers suffered a fatal jolt of amperage from a newly purchased smartphone she had carried into the pool. Though authorities have no conclusive evidence, they suspect that the device shorted out from a sudden tear in Ms. Powers watertight patch. This likely occured during an elaborate undewater display of acrobatics, required for all graduates.
Detective Rob Dignan was quick to use the incident to highlight the broader risk of newly ubiquitous, high electricity ‘smartphones.’ “Head cancer nothing. These are dangerous devices that you should think twice about carrying on your person,” remarked Dignan. “Smartphone saftey has too long been overlooked.”